I have barely opened my eyes and I’m thinking of breakfast! So it’s quite hard for me to leave the house without food in my stomach, hence why I don’t do many brunches.
This may be titled Quick Breakfast Loaf but I would never imagine doing this on a weekday morning. I often have homemade granola in summer, porridge in winter with the occasional bite of toast….but sometimes you need a change!
Yes two bowls, but no beating, or getting out the KitchenAid, required. This is a very forgiving recipe which I have adapted from Bill Granger.
QUICK BREAKFAST LOAF
50g rolled oats
240g wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tspn baking powder
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
75g soft dark brown sugar
20-40g desiccated coconut
1 tspn cinnamon
3 tbspn honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
2-3 tbspn chopped almonds, plus extra for the top.
1. put the oats in a bowl, with the milk, and leave for 30 minutes
2. preheat the oven too 180*C . Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Add the mashed bananas to the milk, along with the honey
4. sift baking powder and flour into a large bowl, add the sugar, coconut and cinnamon. Mix together.
5. add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well, add the egg and 2-3 tblsp of the almonds.
6. pour into tin (the mix will be quite wet) scatter the remaining almonds on top, and bake for 30-45mins (depending on your oven)
When the top is brown and the skewer comes out clean, it is ready.
Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes before removing and leaving on a rack to cool completely.
Natural yoghurt and summer berries.
Toasted with ricotta and honey, summer berries.
This loaf would be great for morning tea with your coffee as well.
Feel free to play with the ingredients. You could change the bananas and coconut for any dried fruit in your cupboard, just go for it!